forum
FAQ
events
Valid XHTML 1.0
Valid CSS
Want to spin 2? Practice 3.
this site is sponsored by Infinite Illusions

General
 New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Previous Message  |  Next Message 
 Re: At the risk of sounding foolish....
Author: Ferret 
Date:   03-27-02 14:40

There is strong evidence that poi originated in the Polynesian islands, and was later brought to Hawaii. I have to check my sources but it is believed to have originated as nothing more than a convenient way to carry Rea eggs over long distances and to tie them up in a tree away from scavengers while the hunters slept. It consisted of nothing more than a handle and vine, attached to a quickly weaved, tight fitting, basket that held and protected the precious egg. One basket for each egg. If you don't know what a Rea is, it's a Big flightless bird. The eggs are about the size of a soft ball, and they are anything but soft.
Legend has it that on a trip back from an egg gathering expedition a few of these egg gatherers were attacked by something that no one wants to be close to, and in the Polynesian islands that could be a whole host of animals, and one brave soul decided that sacrificing one egg for the life and safety of he and his friends was worth it and promptly started spinning this vine and egg contraption at said attacker. Apparently it worked quite well and the brave defender, succeeded in not only saving the party but killing the attacker with this improvised weapon. Believe me when I tell you that you don't want to be hit in the head with a Rea egg spinning at adrenalin induced speed.

As tribal people are apt to do, it soon became a new tool to keep them alive, and only warriors were allowed to learn the art.
Since most creatures are afraid of fire, this was later factored into the weapon. Although by then I would think that they had stopped using Rea eggs for something less precious, that would burn brightly as well.

The Japanese have a similar weapon that is called the meteor, but the Polynesians were extensive travelers and traders, in the early times and brought their culture to a number of countries. I'd lay odds the Japanese got the idea from them.

The yoyo is also an early weapon used by the Philippines to knock monkeys out of trees.
It was used to great effect, although they were much larger than today's toys.

Necessity is the mother of invention. And eating and staying alive is a Strong necessity.

You can give any weasel a ball........but The Ferret will bring it to life.

Keep 'em Roll'in
Ferret
 Reply To This Message  |  Flat View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Topics Author  Date
 At the risk of sounding foolish....  new
Shyft 03-27-02 06:40 
 Re: At the risk of sounding foolish....  new
Shyft 03-27-02 06:41 
Klas 03-27-02 08:27 
Klas 03-27-02 08:28 
Klas 03-27-02 08:29 
remy 03-27-02 07:33 
Ferret 03-27-02 14:40 
Peregrine 03-27-02 17:22 
seb 03-28-02 04:41 
 yes, but...  new
remy 03-28-02 11:23 
 er...  new
remy 03-28-02 11:32 
 Re: er...  new
Peregrine 03-28-02 13:53 
 Re: er...  new
remy 03-28-02 19:45 

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In 
 Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
E-mail replies to this thread, to the address above.

this site is ©2001 Kae Verens. extracts may not be used unless permission is granted. images & text are © their submitters.