forum
FAQ
events
Valid XHTML 1.0
Valid CSS
Graph your progress.
this site is sponsored by Infinite Illusions

General
 New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 4"er
Author: ICU812 
Date:   03-18-02 22:19

Ok, so I finally received my order from Engineering Labs and am proud to announce that I now own a 4"er. And dear God is it big AND heavy. This is definately NOT something you want to drop on your toe. I'm pretty sure that this ball would crush any toes it so much as touches. On the flipside of things, it makes my 3"ers feel ridiculously light. How many of you guys actually use a 4"er regularly anyway? I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to anything smaller than a 3, and even then it looks like that might be pushing it.

Jacques

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle
Reply To This Message

Re: 4"er
Author: Lance Coombes 
Date:   03-18-02 22:45

Heh. I love my 4 inch ball. I still use my 3's for most of my multiball and I use some 2.75s when I'm developing new multiball stuff. If you have the finger strength to hold a 4 incher in a cradle position, then it cannot be touched for one ball work!

--
Imagine that there is some clever signature here.
Reply To This Message

Author: Brad 
Date:   03-18-02 23:49

I haven't touched mine in a couple weeks, but honestly for most one ball stuff I prefer the 4", especially isolations which is probably my forte (if I have one ;)

Part of the problem is I have a 3" 'beater', but I don't particularly want to beat the crap out of my 4", even though it was not in the best of shape to begin with.
Reply To This Message

Author: mdamelio 
Date:   03-19-02 00:12

I have a 4"er and I really like it in fact I have 3 of them, I like them that much. For body rolling and Iso's they are excellent, but you will be sore for the first few days using one as it is such a jump in weight. They are also very visual, most people can see what you are doing from a pretty good distance away, you don't look like somebody just waving their arms all over the place. One thing I noticed recently is that in between all my knuckles on the back of my hand I have noticieable bulges for finger muscles, which upon inspection of other peoples hands is actually kinda weird looking. But I know it comes from holding that four inch ball on the tips of my fingers. Anyway I'm done rambling, I recommend a 4 but many people feel they are too heavy so it's a personal choice :-)

~Mickey
Reply To This Message

Author: silver 
Date:   03-19-02 02:43

yep we love 4" balls, was trying foot stalls with mine earlier, just stupid really!i should learn how to do them first.
Reply To This Message

Author: Daniel Kerr 
Date:   03-19-02 03:43

Congratulations!

I got my 4"er at the EJC in Rotterdam. I was a bit apprehensive about the weight of it at first but I soon got used to it.

I think for body-rolling (which is all I do) they are pretty essential because they are so much more visual.

BYE BYE

Daniel Kerr
Reply To This Message

Author: remy 
Date:   03-19-02 04:38

4" acryllic balls are beautiful, to be sure; however,I used to use mine a more than I do now--part of it is that it's really spendy to replace it should I drop it on some unfriendly surface like concrete, and I like juggling more places than grass or carpet (like the weekly juggling meeting--precarious metal objects in the gym floor, and the floor was easily damaged by the weight of the ball as well); and part of it is that it's just really really heavy--to get out of practice for a week or so and then try to pick it straight up againis just hell--I still use my 4" acryllic, but not nearly as much as my 4" stage balls...
rem
Reply To This Message

Author: Robin Spehar 
Date:   03-19-02 20:22

I've never used a 4" acrylic but have been tossing the idea around of buying one. Few things I'm not hot on though-- weight (of course), and visual appearance. Sure they look marvelous at a distance-- juicy isolations and super smooth chest rolls, but the dynamics of moves such as the butterfly I feel are lost with such a large ball. The ratio of distance traveled to size of ball kind of kills the visual for me. I've recently become a strict 2.75er but am becoming annoyed at the inconsistency of long rolls. Should I do the wise thing and just start building the strength for 3s again...? I haven't touched my 3" acrylincs in ages. Ahh ball size dilemma, will it ever end. Screw it I'm getting a 4" too.
Reply To This Message

Author: Aaron A. Gitzen 
Date:   03-19-02 20:54

Spehar,

I agree with you, I think the 4" ball is so large that sometimes it hides your hand. You don't get the same effect that you might with a three inch ball, but then again it does depend a lot on handsize.

I like the 3.5's that I got from Infinite Illusions. I think they are a pretty good compromise between the two sizes.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I just dont' want to be there when it happens."
Reply To This Message

Date:   03-20-02 00:33

Hey how does the weight of a 4" acrylic differ from a 4" stage ball-- it's effectiveness I mean. How does a chest roll differ for instance (I'm assuming it's easier... ).
thanks anyone for feedback.
spe
Reply To This Message

Author: ICU812 
Date:   03-20-02 01:50

Also, do stage balls bounce? are they very durable? scuff easily? cause they're dirt cheap in comparison to acrylics. Someone fill me in.

So far, I'm very happy with my 4". It's heavy as balls, but that seems to make everything a whole hell of a lot easier. Not only that but when you put it down (gently), and pick up a 3" you're moves will be much easier in that the ball seems exponentially lighter. On the downside of things, I picked up a 2.5" afterwards and it seemd nearly impossible to do a butterfly without launching the ball into orbit. I think it might not be a good idea to keep switching ever 5 minutes. But I'm definately glad I bought it. Not only that but if I keep doing this, by the end of the week I should be pretty jacked.

Jacques

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle
Reply To This Message

Author: Mdamelio 
Date:   03-20-02 03:11

Ok on stage balls, no they don't bounce, scuffing isn't really an issue, they are significantly lighter than an acrylic, about as light as a golf ball I think, maybe a bit heavier. They are very durable, an all around good ball for learning body rolling. I think the 4" acrylic is easier to manipulate, once you get used to the weight, as far as staying on your body goes. But yeah they will wear you out at first :-), but anymore I rarely juggle anything else.

~Mickey
Reply To This Message

Author: remy 
Date:   03-20-02 07:32

play with some 4" stage balls and see what you think! I think the size has it's own aesthetic value--it looks DIFFERENT than smaller balls, but not by any means worse. you might really like the look once you get used to it..then go in on the acryllic...
jsut a thought...
rem
Reply To This Message

How much?
Author: Kevin Smith 
Date:   03-20-02 14:50

How much did your 4" cost from Engineering labs?
Reply To This Message

Re: How much?
Author: Shifty 
Date:   03-20-02 15:41

65 dollars from EL.

S

Why, yes, these are balls in my pocket. And I'm also happy to see you.
Reply To This Message

Date:   03-20-02 22:10

yeah I have been enjoying my 4" stage ball-- very smoothe. Butterflys are nice too, but the weight of a stage ball makes for easier butterflying that with a 4"acrylic (I'd imagine). I'm GONNA get a 4" acrylic-- I can't help myself they're so pretty and you can never have too many props. I suppose I'm just being cautious about getting hooked on it.
cheers
Reply To This Message

Author: Chico 
Date:   03-21-02 01:35

Dunno about using it regularly, but I palmspin my three 4 inchers when i'm in a showoffy-give-myself-finger-strain type of a mood. I do absolutley love it for body rolling when the mood takes me, although I'm not completly sure my downstairs neighbors are as enamored of it. I had found chestrolls next to impossible until I got my first 4" come to think of it.

Chico The Showoff
Reply To This Message

Date:   04-18-02 23:13

Have had my 4" er for 2 days now and have to say it is a must. If not for performing, for learning. It is a major catalyst for long rolls such as the chest. switching between the 4" and 3" doing arm and chest rolls and various stalls just now has done something that I believe could only have been achieved through using a large heavy 4". With the last few posts on muscle memory in mind, I'd go so far as to say that the 4" acrylic is something of a "Muscle teacher".
Just had to report and send my recommendation.
Cheers,
Robin
Reply To This Message

Author: InSpired 
Date:   04-19-02 03:44

does anyone know what size the gymnast balls are?
Reply To This Message

Author: ljane 
Date:   04-19-02 15:03

I have a 5.5" ball. Its isnt that good for many CJ moves but for arm rolls and chest rolls it looks pretty cool. Its is sooooo heavy. I got it just coz I was amazed, I know people with bigger ones but thats just silly.
Laura
Reply To This Message

Author: michael glenn 
Date:   04-19-02 16:15

I love my 4", (we should all be proud of our short comings) :)

Really when I first got my hands on a 4" in 1996, I immediatly jumped a level in my abilities. I have collected about 7 of them over the years, although I can only use 4 at any one time. It's really impressive to spin a pyramid with 4" spheres, however it's a real workout and a bit unweildy. Still a 4" for body rolls is uncomparable.
Until recently, I have never thought of downsizing but I just got 4 3.5" and am in Sphereplay heaven. They look great and fit sooooo much better into my hands, and don't make my arms jello like. I'm a new convert to 3.5".

Michael

balls of lightning rolled along...
Reply To This Message

Author: InSpired12 
Date:   04-19-02 19:08

does anyone know how big the gymnast balls are?
Reply To This Message

Date:   04-19-02 19:33

They come in more than one size. Usually, ranging between 6.3 and 7.5 inches.

--
Reply To This Message

Date:   04-19-02 19:35

I responded to your post about this above.

--
Reply To This Message

Author: InSpired 
Date:   04-20-02 08:03

sorry I double posted, i didn't think anyone would read the one up there
Reply To This Message

Author: ob1 
Date:   04-20-02 12:11

the best for visualization.watch out for r.s.i on the on 2-3-4 in one hand ...
Reply To This Message

Cheap 4" and 6"
Author: Rich Shumaker 
Date:   04-21-02 16:55

So Shifty told me to check out the pet store for a 4" tennis ball.

So I did.
And wow only 3.99US
And they had a 6" tennis ball for 7.99US

Now the tennis ball hairs are weird but overall it is a great practice ball.

Good light ball good size. Great for upsizing to learn rolls then downsizing to a smaller ball. Hell I did full body rolls for 20 minutes and I suck at them.

Now if you need an acrylic practice ball do what throw jugglers do. Open the tennis ball and fill it then stitch it back up again.

You could weight it to any weight by changing materials inside.

And if you wanted an acrylic feel buy some nail polish and paint the ball. That might work? Never tried it. But I might.

Why don't you just buy a stage ball?
Cause they cost more and you can't open them up fill them and stitch them back together later.

Why don't you just buy an acrylic. I did and it is heavy. And it cost me a lot more than 3.99

So would any of you buy a 5" or 6" acrylic.
What about 4" colored acrylics? Solid and clear colors, flourescent?

Rich Shumaker
The Other Contact Juggler
Rich@ContactJuggling.com
www.ContactJuggling.com
Reply To This Message

Author: mdamelio 
Date:   04-21-02 18:26

I don't know if I'd spend the money on a five or a six, but they would be damn good for exercise. The 4" that I use wore me out for a while before I got used to it, and I think a 5 would be fun to play with but I don't think I'd fork over the dough for something that expensive.

~Mickey
Reply To This Message

Author: Veikko Sariola 
Date:   04-23-02 11:43

Curse you all!

Your thread made me buy one myself! Now I'm 70 euros short of my rent, but god damn this ball rocks :) Maybe now I'll start to use acrylics again, my acrylics have stayed pretty unused after I got my silicones, but this ball is just so pretty (and easy) that it's a must.

Oh, and wish me luck for with numbers, I also bought 9 bean bag type balls... Not though that I could even do steady five but this way I don't have to run after the balls everytime I drop ;)

- Veikko / Pestis
Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
E-mail replies to this thread, to the address above.

this site is ©2001 Kae Verens. extracts may not be used unless permission is granted. images & text are © their submitters.